This blog contains excerpts from the “Planning Resource for Developing a Two-Year Emergency Management Academic Program” (March 2019) and reflects the collective contribution of the time and expertise of several individuals sharing their dedication to preparing the next generation of emergency management professionals.
Join the national community of two-year emergency management program discussion!
Did you know that FEMA Higher Education Program includes Special Interest Groups (SIG) to inform the emergency management profession through education and to promote and connect our nation’s academic community members? This effort includes a SIG entitled Collaboration, Connection, and Commitment of 2-Year Emergency Management Programs. The next few weeks of the blog will focus on planning resources for two-year programs. This week, let’s look at Curriculum Development Resource considerations for two-year programs.
Curriculum Development Resources
This information was presented through a webinar engaging the SIG Collaboration, Connection, and Commitment to Two-Year Emergency Management Academic Programs on November 28, 2018. Additional resources were identified and are included in this document. Contributors to this planning resource acknowledge the wealth of curriculum development information available through the FEMA Higher Education Group, partnering colleges, associations, and other sources. A synthesized resource list has been organized into the following three categories: 1) Body of Knowledge; 2) Law, Doctrine, and Policy; and 3) Syllabi, Lesson Plans, and Assessment Tools. The Emergency Management Core Curriculum Model has been built upon and anchored to the resources below.
Body of Knowledge
- Next Generation Core Competencies for Emergency Management Professionals, 2017 https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/docs/final_%20ngcc%20and%20measures_8-13-2017.pdf
- 2017 Higher Education Emergency Management Programs https://fema.gov/hiedu/readinglist.aspx
- 2011 Body of Knowledge Report https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/readinglist.aspx
- Emergency Management Research Resource Guide https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/highref.aspx
- FEMA ISP https://training.fema.gov/is/
- Report from the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Focus Group: Lessons Learned from the 2018 American Educational Research Association Conference, May 2018 https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/docs/latest/SoTL_AERA_Focus_Group_Report_Final_508%20compliant.docx
- FEMA Case Study Development Process, 2018 https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/docs/latest/fema_casestudy_development_process_final
- Associates-Level Curriculum Outcomes, Focus Group, 2012
- Naval Postgraduate Thesis Work: Development of an Outcomes-Based Undergraduate Curriculum in Homeland Security
- Naval Postgraduate Thesis Work: Homeland Security-Related Education and the Private Liberal Arts College
- Naval Postgraduate Thesis Work: Developing the Bench: Building an Effective Homeland Security Undergraduate Program
- Top Ten Competencies for Professional Emergency Management
Law, Doctrine, and Policy
- FEMA Strategic Plan 2018-2022 https://fema.gov/media-library-data/1533052524696-b5137201a4614ade5e0129ef01cbf661/strat_plan.pdf
- DHS Strategic Plan 2014-2018 https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/FY14-18%20Strategic%20Plan.PDF
- National Preparedness Goal, 2015, National Preparedness System, 2011 https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1443799615171-2aae90be55041740f97e8532fc680d40/National_Preparedness_Goal_2nd_Edition.pdf
- National Incident Management System, 2017 https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1508151197225-ced8c60378c3936adb92c1a3ee6f6564/FINAL_NIMS_2017.pdf
- Stafford Act, 1994/2018 https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1519395888776-af5f95a1a9237302af7e3fd5b0d07d71/StaffordAct.pdf
- Homeland Security Act, 2002 https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/hr_5005_enr.pdf
- Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act, 2006 https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/uploads/Post_Katrina_Emergency_Management_Reform_Act_pdf.pdf
- Homeland Security Directive 5, 2003 https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Homeland%20Security%20Presidential%20Directive%205.pdf
- Presidential Decision Directive 8, 2011 https://www.dhs.gov/presidential-policy-directive-8-national-preparedness
- S. National Security Strategy, 2017 https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/NSS-Final-12-18-2017-0905.pdf
- Disaster Mitigation Act, 2000 https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1524-20490-1790/dma2000.pdf
Syllabi, Lesson Plans, and Assessment Tools
- EMI Higher Education Syllabi Compilation https://fema.gov/hiedu/syllabi.aspx
- Common Curriculum, a free online system for lesson planning https://commoncurriculum.com/
- Textbooks/Publishers: 2011 Body of Knowledge Report https://fema.gov/hiedu/readinglist.aspx
- Open Educational Resources OER Commons https://www.oercommons.org/
- Rubric Maker https://www.rubric-maker.com/
- Service-Learning in Emergency Management and Homeland Security Higher Education https://fema.gov/hiedu/docs/latest/508%20compliant_outline_and_guidebook_development_of_a_service-learning_faculty_resource_toolkit.pdf
- Assessment Methods: Report from the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Focus Group https://fema.gov/hiedu/latest/2018.aspx
- Purdue Owl Writing Lab
- Bloom’s Taxonomy Verbs
- Bloom’s Cognitive Taxonomy: Outcome Verbs, Assessment Questions, and Instructional Strategies Pocket Slide
itlcnetwork.org/edtools or 919-270-6306
- The Ultimate Cheatsheet for Critical Thinking
- Course levels OFFICE OF THE HUNTER COLLEGE SENATE GUIDELINES FOR COLLEGE-WIDE DEFINITION OF COURSE LEVELS
FEMA Emergency Management Institute, Higher Education Task Force. Associates Outcomes Task Force Report. June 2014.
Hart Research Associates. Fulfilling the American Dream: Liberal Education and the Future of Work: Selected Findings from Online Surveys of Business Executives and Hiring Managers. Association of American Colleges and Universities. July 2018, www.aacu.org/sites/default/files/files/LEAP/2018EmployerResearchReport.pdf.
This concludes our summer series discussing the Planning Resource for Developing a Two-Year Emergency Management Academic Program. Join us to welcome students to the FCC Fall 2019 Semester! Let’s make it a great year!!!