Welcome to the repository for the “Homeland Security Science II” course within the MSDE CTE HSEP program. What follows are lesson plans and pre-developed, “plug and play” slide presentations designed to provide you with the ability to teach any lesson within any unit of the course. The development team realizes that all instructors experience a great deal of student and classroom variance – it’s just part of the job! These lessons are designed to give instructors the autonomy to adapt each learning experience – and the learning environment itself – to fit their students’ needs. It’s our hope that the scope and sequence of these lessons can help you increase your students’ learning, and improve your own experience teaching, in meaningful ways. Please note the following:
- The lessons are designed to be useful to the instructor with minimal preparation. A complete readthrough is required, and the exploration of all resources is recommended.
- The language of the learning objects is designed to be adaptable to your individual school system’s requirements.
- The presentation slide deck is designed to be used to guide the lesson in its entirety.
- The timing and pacing of the lesson are not designed to fit into a specific timeframe. Some lessons may take multiple class periods, depending on the background knowledge and capabilities of the students.
- Wherever possible, the lessons have been designed to be culturally inclusive. Please make all adaptation and adjustments necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the students.
- Engagement activities are not included because they are dependent on the students’ experiences and prior learning.
- All assessments are at the instructor’s discretion. The designed activities are appropriate for formative assessments. Summative assessments are not included with these lessons.
With that all said, let’s get to the resources!
Lesson 1 – Sociology of Disaster
Lesson 2 – Human Challenges of Disaster
Lesson 3 – Cultural Factors in Disaster
Lesson 4 – Building Resiliency
Lesson 1 – Defining Case Study Review
Lesson 1 – Introduction to Research
Lesson 2 – Literature Reviews
Lesson 3 – Types of Research
Lesson 1 – Components of the Research Proposal
(Banner photo via USAF [DVIDS])