Welcome to the repository for the “Homeland Security Science I” course within the MSDE CTE HSEP program. What follows are lesson plans and pre-developed, “plug and play” slide presentations designed to provide you with the ability to teach any lesson within any unit of the course. The development team realizes that all instructors experience a great deal of student and classroom variance – it’s just part of the job! These lessons are designed to give instructors the autonomy to adapt each learning experience – and the learning environment itself – to fit their students’ needs. It’s our hope that the scope and sequence of these lessons can help you increase your students’ learning, and improve your own experience teaching, in meaningful ways. Please note the following:
- The lessons are designed to be useful to the instructor with minimal preparation. A complete readthrough is required, and the exploration of all resources is recommended.
- The language of the learning objects is designed to be adaptable to your individual school system’s requirements.
- The presentation slide deck is designed to be used to guide the lesson in its entirety.
- The timing and pacing of the lesson are not designed to fit into a specific timeframe. Some lessons may take multiple class periods, depending on the background knowledge and capabilities of the students.
- Wherever possible, the lessons have been designed to be culturally inclusive. Please make all adaptation and adjustments necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the students.
- Engagement activities are not included because they are dependent on the students’ experiences and prior learning.
- All assessments are at the instructor’s discretion. The designed activities are appropriate for formative assessments. Summative assessments are not included with these lessons.
With that all said, let’s get to the resources!
Lesson 1 – What is Intelligence?
Lesson 2 – The Intelligence Community
Lesson 3 – Threats to National Security
Lesson 4 – Role of the President
Lesson 5 – Role of Congress
Lesson 1 – Overview of DHS Science & Technology Directorate
Lesson 2 – S&T Laboratories and Research
Lesson 3 – Programs for Defense Against Catastrophic Threats
Lesson 4 – Programs to Counter Terrorism
Lesson 5 – Essential S&T Research & Development Partners
Lesson 1 – History of Risk Communications
Lesson 2 – Emergency Communication Systems
Lesson 1 – The History of Weapons of Mass Destruction
Lesson 2 – Chemical Weapons
Lesson 3 – Biological Weapons
Lesson 4 – Radiological Nuclear Weapons
Lesson 5 – Explosives
Lesson 6 – Case Studies
Lesson 1 – Border Security & Immigration
Lesson 2 – Roads & Highways
Lesson 3 – Mass Transit & Light Rail
Lesson 4 – Heavy Rail Freight & Long Distance Passenger
Lesson 5 – Maritime Security
Lesson 6 – Air Passenger & Cargo
(Banner photo via Keith Gardner [DVIDS])