Welcome to the repository for the “Geographic Information Systems II,” or GIS II, course within the MSDE CTE HSEP program. What follows are lesson plans and curriculum guides designed to provide you with the ability to teach any lesson within any unit of the course. The development team realizes that all instructors experience a great deal of student and classroom variance – it’s just part of the job! These lessons are designed to give instructors the autonomy to adapt each learning experience – and the learning environment itself – to fit their students’ needs. It’s our hope that the scope and sequence of these lessons can help you increase your students’ learning, and improve your own experience teaching, in meaningful ways. Please note the following:
- The lessons are designed to be useful to the instructor with minimal preparation. A complete readthrough is required, and the exploration of all resources is recommended.
- The language of any learning objects is designed to be adaptable to your individual school system’s requirements.
- The timing and pacing of the lesson are not designed to fit into a specific timeframe. Some lessons may take multiple class periods, depending on the background knowledge and capabilities of the students.
- Wherever possible, the lessons have been designed to be culturally inclusive. Please make all adaptation and adjustments necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the students.
- Engagement activities are not included because they are dependent on the students’ experiences and prior learning.
- All assessments are at the instructor’s discretion. Activities referenced in the lesson plans are appropriate for formative assessments. Summative assessments are not included with these lessons.
With that all said, let’s get to the resources!
Lesson 1 – Introduction to Cartography
Lesson 2 – Map Layouts & Formatting
Lesson 3 – Thematic Mapping
Lesson 4 – Map Graphics, Tables, and Charts
Lesson 5 – Creating Map Books in ArcMap
Lesson 6 – Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro
Lesson 1 – Spatial Analysis in ArcGIS
Lesson 2 – Pattern and Cluster Analysis
Lesson 3 – Spatial Interpolation
Lesson 4 – Raster Analysis
Lesson 5 – Spatial Analysis with ArcGIS Pro
Lesson 1 – Geodatabase Uses & Structure
Lesson 2 – Geodatabase Concepts
Lesson 3 – Topologies in the Geodatabase
Lesson 4 – Enterprise GIS
Lesson 1 – 3D Data & Formats
Lesson 2 – Working with 3D Data in ArcGIS
Lesson 3 – Working in 3D in ArcGIS Pro
Lesson 4 – Lidar Data Management & Analysis
Lesson 5 – Visualizing 3D Data
Lesson 6 – Advanced 3D in ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online
Lesson 1 – Geoprocessing Tools with ArcGIS
Lesson 2 – ArcGIS Toolboxes
Lesson 3 – ArcGIS ModelBuilder
Lesson 1 – Esri Certification Program & Other Geospatial Certifications
Lesson 2 – ArcGIS Desktop Entry Exam Review
Lesson 3 – Final Project and Presentation
Lesson 4 – ArcGIS Desktop Entry Exam